17 Kasım 2012 Cumartesi

OCTOBER 18, 2012 TOO MUCH SEAWEED

To contact us Click HERE




" Every day brings a new opportunity to be of some use."

Every day is a new day. I cannot dwell on the past, nor the future for today. I must live in the day. A day at a time--no, no a hour at a time, no , no a minute at a time -- no, no a second at a time.
It only takes a moment to be of some use. Today might be your day for opening the door for a co-worker, or saying good morning. As a boy scout I remember being of good use meant helping the older woman cross the street with her grocery bags. I even had to earn a badge for that service. I recently found my merit badges from scouts. It touched some old memories.

Today my grandparents, Nanny and Poppy would have been married 87 years. If my grandfather knew that I be discussing seaweed rather than torrone, panttelone or pasta, he would certainly not be happy.
Remember,  that Panettone --that six inch high bread like cake, filled with raisins and other candied and dried fruit, most closely resembling raisin bread. Dessert ws accompanied by spumante (a sparking wine), fruit and nuts. Oh, yes the expresso in the old fashioned on the stove pot. Yet, happiness is knowing both are still  my angels and part of my life, and both have been in what I call,  ' my recipe ' of a good life.





You must adhere to moderation. There are risks to anything done in excess in life. . This can include even exercise. Too much fruits can result in higher sugar levels depending on the type of fruit consumed. Too many gluten free processed foods will result in higher sugar levels, as gluten free products do many more carbohydrates and sugar levels.

Does too much seaweed increase the risk of thyroid cancer ? In the last 6 months I have found more individual cases of thyroid cancer, especially the papillary type. i decided to spend some time researching this cancer. None of the patients that I diagnosed had consumed high quantities of seaweed nor were Japanese.  I did find a prospective court study involved more than 52,000 women ( age 49-69 that participated in these Japanese Public Health Study. The mean follow-up was 14.5 years with 134 new thyroid caners and 113 papillary cancer type.

After reviewing this study, the increase consumption of seaweed WAS ASSOCIATED with an increased incidence of thyroid cancer especially the papillary carcinoma type i postmenopausal Japanese women, There was no cause and effect, but other observational studies reviewed in the Townsend Letter by Dr Alan Gaby have reported a similar association between seaweed consumption and thyroid cancer.

You must know that seaweed is one of the most potent sources of iodine in the human diet. Excessive iodine can result in thyroid cancers, but there is other data that states that iodine deficiency ( low levels of iodine)  can promote the developments of other types of cancer.

I would be very careful about your seaweed consumption. Again use iodine consumption in moderation. Not too little and not too much. The best range is to consume  150- 300 mcg per day for adults


Until tomorrow...

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder